Writing Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory
just a few words in black

Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Zealand's Gannets

gannet composition

The trick at Muriwai, with the gannets, is to be able to capture the soaring birds in mid flight and still have the focus square on their eyes. Sometimes just getting the bird in the frame was challenge enough!! I also found that my desperate attempts to engage that perfect flying shot - meant I missed some great action on the rocks. It was good to have family around to point out the interesting going-ons amongst the bird's active community.



Gannet flying



arrow rightnextarrow left


.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That in-flight image rocks. Makes me want to get out today. This has motivated me.

Beverly Kaye said...

Great to hear you've been inspired. That's what sharing photos is all about - a collective resource of inspiration. Your wide angle shots push me that little bit further to encourage me into exploring a new lens (yet to buy).

Miranda said...

Wow, I love the picture of the gannet mid-flight. I tried to get one like that for ages one day, but when I put them on my screen they were out of focus or the exposure was wrong. Your one is awesome!